My research focuses broadly on data-oriented systems and the way they drive computing. This spans topics in database systems, distributed computing, data visualization, machine learning and programming languages.
More information on current and past research here.
In 2020 I co-founded Aqueduct, which is bringing new open source technology for Prediction Infrastructure to market. Aqueduct resulted from our prior research in the RISELab on serverless
computing including the Anna KVS and Cloudburst FaaS system [1, 2, 3,
In 2012 I co-founded Trifacta, a cloud data engineering platform that runs on AWS, Azure and GCP (where it also powers Google
Dataprep by Trifacta). Trifacta is based on prior research in my group on interactive data preparation [1,
2, 3]. Trifacta was acquired by
Alteryx in 2022.
- Toward a Programmable Cloud: Foundations and Challenges. Keynote, ACM POPL 2021. [pdf]
- A Data-Centric Lens on Cloud Programming and Serverless Computing. Keynote, ICDE 2020. Distinguished Lecture, Darmstadt U, 2020. [pdf]
- Serverless Computing: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back. CIDR, 2019 [pptx] [pdf]
- Approximation and Interaction: A Progressive's View. Keynote, NSF ACAIA, 2017 [PPTX a>], [pdf].
- Ground: A Data Context Service. CIDR 2017. [pdf]
- People, Computers, and the Hot Mess of Real Data. Keynote, ACM KDD 2016. [pdf]
- Progressive Systems, LinkedIn NYC 2015. [pdf]
- Dancing Calmly with the Devil, Keynote, ACM SoCC 2014. [pdf]
- Of Rocket Ships and Washing Machines: Data Technology for People, Keynote, Strata 2012. [video,
- Keep CALM and Query On, RICON 2012, UCSD 2013, UCR 2013. [pdf] [video, 49:24].
- The Declarative Imperative: Experiences and Conjectures in Distributed Logic. Keynote, ACM PODS, 2010. [.key.zip], [pdf],
- MAD Skills: New Practices for Big Data. VLDB, 2009. [pptx], [pdf]
- Quantitative Data Cleaning for Large Databases. Keynote, QDB, 2009. [.key.zip], [pdf]
- Bricolage: Data at Play. Keynote, ICDM 2007. [.key.zip] [.mov] [
The Marvelous Structure of Reality. Keynote, WebDB 2003 [PDF], [.mov] [
- Readings in Database Systems, 5th Edition. With M. Stonebraker and P. Bailis. [redbook.io]
- New Directions in Cloud Programming. With A. Cheung, N. Crooks and M. Milano. CIDR
- Cloudburst: Stateful Functions-as-a-Service. With V. Sreekanti, C. Wu, X. Lin, J. Schleier-Smith, J. Gonzalez and A. Tumanov. VLDB 2020 [pdf]
- Towards Scalable Dataframe Systems. With D. Petersohn, W. Ma, D. Lee, S. Macke, D. Xin, X. Mo, J. Gonzalez, A. Joseph and A. Parameswaran. VLDB 2020 [pdf]
- A Fault Tolerance Shim for Serverless Computing. With V. Sreekanti, C. Wu, S. Chhatrapati, J. E. Gonzalez, and J. M. Faleiro. EuroSys 2020. [pdf]
- Deep Unsupervised Cardinality Estimation. With Z. Yang, E. Liang, A. Kamsetty, C. Wu, Y. Duan, P. Chen, P. Abbeel, S. Krishnan and I. Stoica. PVLDB
- Serverless Computing: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back. With J. M. Faleiro, J. Gonzalez, J. Schleier-Smith, V. Sreekanti, A. Tumanov and C. Wu. CIDR 2019. [pdf]
- Anna: A KVS For Any Scale. With C. Wu, J. M. Faleiro and Y. Lin. ICDE 2018. [
- Ground: A Data Context Service. with V. Sreekanti, J. Gonzalez et al. CIDR
- Scalable Atomic Visibility with RAMP Transactions. With P. Bailis, A. Fekete, A. Ghodsi, and I. Stoica. TODS 2016.[pdf]
- Predictive Interaction for Data Transformation. With J. Heer and S. Kandel. CIDR
- Logic and Lattices for Distributed Programming. With W. R. Marczak, P. Alvaro, N. R. Conway, and D. Maier. SoCC, 2012. [pdf]
- Enterprise Data Analysis and Visualization: An Interview Study. With S. Kandel, A. Paepcke and J. Heer. IEEE VAST, 2012. [pdf]
- Searching for Jim Gray: a technical overview. (with D. L. Tennenhouse on behalf of a large team of volunteers).
Commun. ACM 54(7), 2011. [pdf]
- Wrangler: Interactive Visual Specification of Data Transformation Scripts (with S. Kandel, A. Paepcke, and J. Heer). CHI 2011. [PDF]
- Data in the First Mile (with K. Chen and T. Parikh). CIDR 2011 [PDF].
- Consistency Analysis in Bloom: a CALM and Collected Approach (with P. Alvaro, N. Conway, and W.R. Marczak). CIDR 2011. [PDF]
- The Declarative Imperative: Experiences and Conjectures in Distributed Logic.
Record 39:1, Sep. 2010. [pdf]
Networking (with B. T. Loo, T. Condie, M. Garofalakis, D. E. Gay, P. Maniatis, R. Ramakrishnan, T. Roscoe and I. Stoica). Research Highlights, CACM 52(11), 2009. [Intro
by Peter Druschel] [pdf].
- Architecture of a Database System. (with M. Stonebraker and J. Hamilton).
Trends in Databases 1(2). [PDF]
- Implementing Declarative Overlays. (with B. T. Loo, T. Condie, P. Maniatis, T. Roscoe, and I. Stoica). In 20th SOSP, 2005. [PDF]
- TinyDB: An Acqusitional Query Processing System for Sensor Networks. (with S. Madden, M. Franklin, and Wei Hong). ACM TODS. [PDF]
- Model-Driven Data Acquisition in Sensor Networks (with A. Deshpande, C. Guestrin, S. Madden and W. Hong.) VLDB 2004 [
- Commencement Address. Computer Science, College
of Letters and Science, UC Berkeley, May 26, 2002. [pdf]
- On a Model of Indexability and its Bounds for Range
Queries (with E. Koutsoupias, D. Miranker, C. Papadimitriou, and V. Samoladas).
JACM 49(1) (2002). [pdf]
- Potter's Wheel: An Interactive Data Cleaning System (with V. Raman). VLDB
Eddies: Continuously Adaptive Query Processing (with R. Avnur).
SIGMOD 2000. [PDF] [
Interactive Data Analysis with CONTROL (with many others). IEEE
Computer, August 1999. [PDF]
Generalized Search Trees for Database Systems (with J. F. Naughton and A. Pfeffer.)